In our family, with lots of English and Irish relatives, Sheppard’s Pie is a serious comfort food. Because of this, when someone is sick, for example, it needs to be done quickly. This recipe may not be the best Sheppard’s Pie ever, but it is quite good and quick.
1 lb ground beef
8 medium potatoes
1 stick butter
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup milk
1 packet brown gravy
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can early peas
1/4 cup water
grated cheddar cheese to cover
1. Brown the beef in a skillet. Pour off excess fat.
2. Peel and cut potatoes into inch chunks. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add potatoes. Boil until potatoes are tender. Drain and return to the pot.
3. Add butter, sour cream and milk and mash until smooth. Add more milk if necessary.
4. Add the cream of mushroom soup, water and gravy mix to the ground beef and stir on medium heat. Drain and add the peas and stir.
4. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
5. In a casserole dish, place the beef mixture first and spread out evenly. Add the mashed potatoes and spread over the beef mixture. Grate a generous portion of cheddar cheese (I like sharp cheddar) to cover the potatoes.
6. Bake uncovered for 15-20 minutes until cheese is melted and casserole is hot.