These days, about the only TV I watch is food oriented shows and a few other things like Masterpiece Mysteries and Premier League football (Go Liverpool!). For me, this was a somewhat late development, as I have never, and am still not, one to watch the how-to-cook shows like Emeril and Rachael Ray.
What got me started was stumbling across Anthony Bourdain’s No Reservations, which I still love.
Then I ran across Iron Chef America, which I love still except for them screwing up the judging this season (worst judging so far of any season). Once I discovered Food Network, I wondered why Bourdain’s show was not on that network until I read that it originally was on Food Network
and got dumped (bad decision).
My favorite shows are the competition shows, so Bravo network comes in high on the most
watched list. Here are the food related shows I Tivo and try to always watch:
- 24 Hour Restaurant Battle
- Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations
- Hell’s Kitchen (yeah, I know, but this one grows on you)
- Iron Chef America
- Kitchen Nightmares
- Ramsey’s Best Restaurant (first episode was good)
- Ramsey’s Kitchen Nightmares (British version)
- The Next Food Network Star
- The Next Iron Chef
- Top Chef
Except for Hell’s Kitchen, the competition shows are for real, the chefs are treated with respect
and judging is fair, even if I disagree, like last night’s Top Chef All Stars. Hell’s Kitchen is a bit over the top, but is entertaining and the best chefs seem to advance.
There are some food shows I really do not like, as well:
- Paula Deen (I gag every time she says “y’all” and I am Southern)
- Man vs Food
- Ace of Cakes (another obnoxious host)
- Chefs vs City
- Unwrapped (how can a food network promote crap like Twinkies? – foods are always shown as being made out of great ingredients, no mention of all the chemicals and bullshit that go into most factory foods)
Tags: 24 Hour Restaurant Battle, Ace of Cakes, Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations, Chefs vs City, Chopped, Hell's Kitchen, Iron Chef, Iron Chef America, Kitchen Nightmares, Man vs Food, MasterChef, Next Food Network Star, Next Iron Chef, Paula Deen, Ramsey's Best Restaurant, Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares, Top Chef, Unwrapped