Talking to my mother, this has been the Christmas dessert in her family as long as she can remember. It has also been the Christmas dessert my entire life and this has carried on to my children. This year is the first year my mother will not make it, as she no longer has a kitchen. I will be making it. We always make two versions, one with and one without nuts.
Since I haven’t made it yet this year, no pictures, but I wanted to get the recipe out there before Christmas. Pics will follow tomorrow.
28 marshmallows, cut up (or 2 1/4 cps “small” marshmellows)
1 cup pecans, chopped (optional)
1 1/2 pints whipping cream
1 lb vanilla wafers
2 cups peppermint stick or candy cane candy, beat rather fine
1. Cut marshmallows with scissors dipped in water to prevent sticking. Break candy into small pieces by wrapping tightly in a kitchen towel and beating with a hammer.
2. Whip cream.
3. Grind vanilla wafers in a blender. Line an 11 x 15 pan with half the vanila wafer crumbs.
4. Mix all other ingredients together and spoon evenly over crumbs.
5. Spread remaining crumbs over top and press down slightly.
6. Set in refrigerator overnight.