I am not a fan of factory farm produced chicken or even free range, but this cooking method produces an incredibly good chicken. My brother-in-law Hugh and his wife Anastasia gave us a “special” chicken cooker. I have no idea what it is called and can’t even find it on the Internet. My best guess was pretty lame, “upside down chicken cooker.” I asked Hugh what it was called and I like his name better: “super-duper upside-down chicken ass defiler.”
Here is my recipe.
Roasted Chicken with Herbs Using a Super-Duper Upside-Down Chicken Ass Defiler
1-whole chicken, young or roaster
extra virgin olive oil
salt and black pepper
1 medium onion, minced
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 two-inch sprigs of fresh rosemary, chopped
2 two-inch sprigs of fresh oregano, chopped
2 two-inch sprigs of fresh sage, chopped
2 two-inch sprigs of fresh basil, chopped
1/2 cup white wine (cooking white wine works fine)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
2. Clean out the chicken cavity and wash entire bird. Pat dry.
3. Rub chicken cavity and outside with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper
4. Fill super-duper upside-down chicken ass defiler middle cup with all the herbs, onion and garlic. Add white wine. Place the excess in the chicken cavity.
5. Quickly turn over chicken and place the cavity over the super-duper upside-down chicken ass defiler cup. Don’t worry if there is some spill over,
6. Place in oven for 45 minutes. Baste every 20 minutes with the juices produced during roasting. After 45 minutes, cut the legs/thighs away from the body without separating them entirely. This allows for even cooking.
7. Continue to cook and baste until done, around 45 minutes depending on the size of the chicken.
8. Serve with rice (I like a Texmati Brown and Wild rice mix).
Mix the leftover liquids from the cooker with your dog’s food. Little Buddy loved it.